Typically, you are expected to have your vehicle registered immediately after:

  • Buying it
  • Building it
  • Altering or rebuilding it
  • Importing it

This is done by completing a number of forms and submitting them to the DVLA. The types of forms you complete are determined by your situation.

DVLA may ask to have a vehicle inspection in order to:

  • Check that you are the owner and that the vehicle is existent
  • Update any changes that may have been made on that vehicle

DVLA will inform you if they find the inspection necessary; via post. You are not charged for this.

Vehicle importers, manufacturers and VAT-registered vehicle traders can use the various registration motor trade schemes.


new vehicle number plate

DVLA may not be in charge of registering your vehicle if it is imported, new, classic, vintage, rebuilt, radically altered or a kit vehicle. The registration of new cars is arranged by the dealers. Nonetheless, for the other cases, there are a number of steps to be followed. You can use the DVLA telephone number to reach out if you need any assistance with the registration application.

Make a registration application

If your vehicle is new (including imported new cars and newly built kit vehicles), fill in form V55/4.

If your vehicle is used (including older unregistered vehicles, rebuilt vehicles and used imported vehicles), complete form V55/5. Keep in mind that you can request for application forms from the DVLA’s service for form ordering.

You should send both forms with identity documents:

Ideally, you should send your photo-card licence. However, if you cannot send it, send one or more of your original documents on the following lists instead:

Name Confirmation (List 1)

  • Recent paper licence
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Absolute or decree nisi
  • Marriage certificate

Address Confirmation (List 2)

  • Latest telephone, water, electricity, gas or any other utility bill
  • Latest bank or building society statement
  • Medical card
  • Current year’s bill for council tax

You are also expected to attach the following supportive documents:

  • Existing British vehicle insurance certificate
  • Vehicle tax charge
  • Registration fees; for those required to pay
  • Existing MOT ( applies for cars above 3 years old)
  • Confirmation that it is a new vehicle ( including new imported cars)
  • Other automobile documents

There are extra forms for renovated, classic, recently built, imported, rebuilt and radically altered vehicles. Call the DVLA telephone number for advice on how to go about it.


DVLA may inspect your vehicle. If they accept your application, a Certificate of Vehicle registration or V5C will be mailed to you, typically 6 weeks after the application is received. The certificate will have the following details:

  • Your vehicle registration number
  • Vehicle owner’s address and name
  • Other vehicle details such as previous owners, make and VIN among others

You will also receive a car tax disc and identity documents.

If you get back your original submissions via post, they should be in a prepaid, self addressed special envelope.

Contact DVLA if there is no feedback 6 weeks after your submission.

Fees for Registration of New Vehicles:

Your initial automobile registration will be charged £55.

However, the case is not the same for the following:

  • Vehicles initially registered for tax exemption
  • Old vehicles that had been registered with previous authorities
  • Vehicles registered in Northern Ireland
  • Imported vehicles that had been registered under personal export and new transport means schemes
  • Visiting forces’ vehicles
  • Vehicles with Crown exemption
  • Vehicles registered as direct exports
  • Registered vehicles that are no longer on roads

Rebuilds and Kit cars

Registration process:

DVLA telephone number for a new registation plate

Follow all the new automobile registration guidelines. Additionally, your application must include:

  • V627/1 form
  • If necessary, type approval proof
  • Vehicle Registration certificate (for using the benefactor’s car)
  • Build plans and citations
  • Authorised receipts


Built and kit cars require type approvals. Type approvals are also needed for rebuilt vehicles that do not qualify to maintain the original registration numbers.

Radically altered automobiles

Registration procedure

Follow all directives for new vehicle registration. In addition, the application should contain the following enclosures:

  • V627/1 form
  • If necessary, proof or type approval
  • Certificate of Registration (for using the donor’s vehicle)
  • Authorised parts and vehicle receipts

The DVLA uses a point structure for choosing the vehicles’ registration numbers.

Please keep in mind that the original registration number is changed if:

  • The vehicle’s points are below 8
  • The car, motorbike or van has an altered chassis or a monocoque
  • The vehicle is made out of two vehicles

Therefore, such vehicles require type approvals.

Old vehicles

Old vehicles that are not DVLA registered and have not been taxed since the year 1983 need to follow the regulations for new vehicle registration. If you need any help with the registration, use the DVLA telephone number.

You may be allowed to maintain the old vehicle’s registration number if:

  • It is not DVLA registered
  • It’s registration number is very old

The process of application includes:

  • Following the guidelines for new vehicle registration
  • Completing form V765 and getting its accreditation and validation from the club of vehicle owners
  • Attaching a recent photo of your vehicle and documented proof associating it with the original registration number
  • Sending the supportive documents and appropriate forms to DVLA

Reconstructed classic automobiles

Registration process

You should follow the instructions for registering new vehicles.

You will also be required to attach the following:

  • Written declaration acquire from an approved vehicle owners’ club
  • V627/1 form ( inspection report for built up automobile)
  • Proof of type approval
  • Authorised parts and vehicle receipt


The registration is determined by these factors:

    1. If the automobile already has a certification of registration or V5C
    2. If the automobile does not have a certificate of registration

Vehicles with a certificate of registration or V5C

Follow this procedure:

  • The dealer must complete V5C Section 6, which includes the new name as well as the new address information
  • You and the seller must sign the declaration in section 8
  • The seller should complete V5C/2 section 10 and give it to you
  • The V5C should be forwarded to DVLA

You will receive an updated V5C from DVLA in a period between two and three weeks following the submission of the old V5C by your dealer. If it is not sent to you in 4 weeks, fill in a registration certificate application or V62, attach the V5C/2 you got from the seller and forward it to DVLA.

The vehicle is not DVLA registered

Fill in the V62 to have the vehicle registered as yours. You will be charged a fee for this. If you do not get any feedback within 6 weeks after the submission, contact DVLA.


Cars registered in UK should have stamped-in, unique VIN and registration number. The Insurance Number is imprinted on the chassis of the car.

You qualify for a unique VIN if:

  • The motorbike or car is a kit built one
  • Your vehicle has no DVLA allocated VIN


Numbers for Q registration are given to cars with contentious age or identity.


You should follow this procedure:

  • Your new address or name should be indicated on Section 6 of the V5C form. Joint names and PO Boxes are not acceptable.
  • Sign the declaration in Section 8 and include the date
  • Send the filled in form to DVLA

You will receive an updated V5C in 4 weeks. You should use the DVLA telephone number if your certificate is still not sent after 6 weeks.


Your V5C should be corrected in case there are errors or after making the following changes on the car:

  • Colour
  • Capacity of the cylinder
  • Seating capacity
  • Engine
  • Type of fuel used
  • The chassis modification
  • The good’s vehicle’s weight
  • Changed tax category to disabled

Other changes such as in VIN, motorcycle frame number, wheel plan and type of body among others may need to be inspected.

The new certificate should then be sent to DVLA via post, along with supportive documents.

Informing DVLA of the changes

Changes in the tax category of the vehicle, if any, are determined by the impact of the alterations you make.

If the alterations you make have an effect on the vehicle tax

  • Mark the changes on the certificate of registration, Section 7, and make sure it is signed
  • Send the certificate of registration along with the needed supportive documents to DVLA
  • The vehicle should get another tax disc

If your alterations have no impact on the vehicle tax

    1. Mark the changes on Section 7 of the certificate of registration and make sure it is signed

    2. The certificate of registration should be submitted to DVLA

For unlisted alterations in the certificate of registration, fill in Section 4 and submit it to DVLA; attached with a letter of explanation.


A replacement certificate; V5C can be acquired after losing the original, or if it is stolen or damaged. You can apply on phone or fill in a V62 form.

DVLA Telephone Number 0843 455 0054.